Thursday, August 1, 2013

Great Gift Idea- A Box of Random

Recently I had a birthday, nope not going to tell, anyway and my mother in law had asked what I would like for my birthday. I love to ask her for random things, because normally she has these things, and is always on the verge of throwing things out. She is on a budget, but I didn't want to take away her fun.

 She like many other aging people, is trying to clean out and get rid of old items, so she can downsize. Great for me right? Wrong, she lives over 15 hours away by car. So, I'm also not being the greatest at helping her!

So this year when asked what I wanted for my birthday, I said" Ummm,"How about a metal thimble, a pin cushion, a fabric measuring tape and anything else you can think of out of your house your not going to use, thrown in a box".

When the box arrived, it was like Christmas! It was filled with a tons of just fun random things. Some of the items included 2 dresses (she never wore), rick rack, sequins, vintage lace, corks, water globe things for the plants (which I didn't know I wanted, until I adorned my plant friends with), some zippers, a couple of costume jewelry pieces, a grow a clover kit, google eyes (never know when you need those, I do have two children) and various other treasures including my thimble, pin cushion and tape.

I have been to two parties since, and have gotten compliments on my dresses from some of my friends, and they wanted to know where I got them. I get to beam proudly that they are from my box of random! I picture mother in law, going through the house and touching these items and thinking of me and it brings a smile.

So the next time someone asks you what you want for your birthday or a holiday, and you don't want them to spend any money, tell them you'd just like a box of random.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet...
    I bet you made your mother in law's day when you told her what a hit her gift was.
    Have a great weekend! :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete